Friday, June 24, 2011

Here's to You

Well, it has been AGES since my last blog post and I have been inspired to begin writing again. I began this page as a sort of therapy when life seemed a little more challenging. Once I felt balanced and centered again, I stopped writing and basically forgot about it. Since then, it has come to my attention that people are again taking interest in the site, so I should begin by saying “thank you.” It is you who invigorate and energize me. I will begin once again to share my thoughts and experiences with all of you, in hopes that you find something in it and in turn, share your positive energy with me.

A lot has happened in the last few months and I must honestly admit that I haven’t been happier. Every day that passes I feel more and more blessed, and it’s largely due to the people in my life. I am really lucky to know a lot of really unique and amazing individuals. As I referred to in my last post, it is their light that inspires me to better myself. In the next few posts, I would like to refer to a TED talk to direct my thoughts. The subject of the talk is the "Happy Planet Index" by Nic Marks (definitely worth watching – an amazing series overall).

Marks looks at the way we define success today, namely through monetary values. He remarks that this is not an accurate measure of wealth, and I wholeheartedly agree with him. He refers to Robert Kennedy who, in assessing the GNP, noted that it "...measures everything, in short, except that which makes life worthwhile." So Marks proposes the following five things that are liable to make one happier, and improve well-being. He also suggests ranking national (and individual) successes based on these five items. They are:

1. Connect
2. Be active
3. Take notice
4. Keep learning
5. Give

Obviously, today’s post is about the first on the list, which is to connect. This includes connecting both with those around you and with yourself. Thank you to all of you who are in my life. You make every day worth living and fill me with strength and joy. I have gained a keener sense of my own self through interactions with you. I really hope that everyone can feel the same, and realizes the importance of opening yourself to others and also being true to oneself. Again, even when pursuing your greatest goals it is important to take stock of your relationships – they are what keep you grounded and whole.

I have recently started rowing again. The end goal? I cannot be sure. I do know this however: I am doing it out of love and no matter where this or anything else in my life takes me, my connections take precedence.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for all you inspire and all you give! You are amazing!! XO, M

    ReplyDelete