Monday, October 11, 2010

Half Marathon

Here's where we start....

Yesterday I was lucky enough to participate in the "Goodlife Victoria Marathon," along with thousands of other athletes on 10/10/10. A friend of mine convinced me to sign up for the half marathon so that I had something to keep me motivated through September. I had taken over a month off after leaving rowing at the end of July, and she figured this would be a good way to get me back into the training scene. I had a blast! It was fun to do something challenging enough to keep me busy for a few weeks, but also to race with no pressure and no expectations. A nice change from what I had expected of myself while rowing.

In the last few weeks I have been fortunate enough to meet a ton of awesome people in the beautiful city of Victoria, BC. I leave rowing (for the time being!?) with the competitive fire still burning fiercely and brightly within me. I feel as though I left rowing not completely on my own terms, and I have yet to lose to the urge to be great at something physically demanding. So where did I turn? Ironman.

In this quest, I found a coach who has agreed to help me on my journey - Mike Neill (who coaches a group called Human Powered Racing). I also have found an amazing swim group, of which Mike is a part, under the guidance of Clint Lien at Crystal Pool. I also managed to find a super fun riding group that goes by the name of Triple Shot, famous for pre-dawn rides (starting at 6am!!!) and post-ride coffees. In sum, I have a pretty good line-up of coaches and advisors to help me sort out what it is exactly that I am doing, now that rowing is over.

So here we are.... Rowing done (again, for now!?) and Ironman coming up. Oh - and I need to find a job and come to terms with what it means to be done one sport and start TOTALLY new in another. More on where I am from and where I am going later.

No comments:

Post a Comment