Sunday, October 17, 2010

Not so heavy?

I am currently living with an awesome little family here in Victoria. Their daughter left for University and I moved right into her room when I got here. It's been great! They have made me feel like one of their own and I am very fortunate to be staying with them for the time being. We also have a young elite diver living in the suite downstairs, along with Mom, Dad and their 22-year-old hilarious son, so never a dull moment!

The other night, the homeowners were talking about their daughter, and mentioned that her swim coach had told her that she was fat and needed to lose weight. I am sure it was worded differently, but regardless, my back went up right away. As someone who has been a competitive athlete for 2/3 of her lifetime, I know what it's like to be told you are too big. When I was 13, my swim coach pinched the back of my arm and told me I had to get rid of it. I was on the "Zone" diet before my body had even finished developing. Much later in life, a rowing coach came in and told the entire team that they had to lean out, and I watched as myself and all of my teammates shrank down rapidly, some at the expense of much needed power and strength.

Let me be clear. I realize the necessity of efficiency. After switching from heavyweight to lightweight rowing, I now know that my most efficient weight is very lean. I will make moves to get back down there for racing season next summer, but I have done it so many times, under extremely good guidance, that I know what works for me. I also know how thin is too thin, and I must resist the urge to go down there every again. I am not contending the need to be light and efficient in (some) sports. The bone I have to pick is with coaches, therapists and practitioners who tell athletes, both young and old, that they need to lose weight without offering them the proper guidance. I have seen it end careers and destroy bodies for months, even years.

I can say from experience that diets do not work. It is astounding to me how much misinformation is out there about nutrition. Protein diets, no carb diets, liquid diets, high fat diets... All of them can give you immediate results but they are NOT SUSTAINABLE. People have to be people! Whether you are an athlete or a poet, every solitary person on this earth needs to eat. As an endurance athlete, I was put on a no-carb, 1000 calorie per day diet in order to shed some muscle mass to hit my weight-class target weight, and my body literally shut down. I should have known better, but I have now learned the hard way and hope to prevent others from falling down the same path. I do not have a degree in nutrition, but I can bet that I would give better advice than half the "sports nutritionists" out there. I didn't have to read it in a book - I have lived it!

When athletes are told to lose weight without good guidance, there are too many traps that they can fall into. There is just way too much bad advice out there and an athlete left to his or her own devices can make big mistakes. If you are going to attempt to lose weight or lean out, I would strongly recommend you get in touch with someone who is highly knowledgeable, with a strong sports background (if you are an athlete). I know someone who is absolutely amazing so if you are in Victoria, let me know! Otherwise, be very careful. Your body is a beautiful thing capable of beautiful things, so do not abuse it! As long as it is healthy, your body will do what you ask of it, so long as you respect it and treat it well. Eat your carbs!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment