Monday, October 25, 2010

My New Team

Well, Saturday night I got all dressed up (a rarity!) and went to a season kick-off dinner at my new coach Mike's house. I had spent the whole day coaching my high school kids at a rowing regatta and was grateful to get out and have a little fun. (Not that coaching is stressful or anything - it was just a nice change of pace!) I showed up solo not knowing what to expect when I got to Mike and his wife Rachel's place. I had met a couple of people at a run I had joined in on, but other than that, I was going in blind!

I have to say, I think it's going to be a fun year. Everyone is so close, so fun and extremely enthusiastic! And boy do these folks know how to party. It's like University rowing season all over again and I must admit, those were some of the best days I ever spent in sport! We had a good team at Western who liked to work hard, but we also knew when to dial it up! I think I am in for a good year...

I almost didn't come out for dinner after Mike's place but one of my teammates (feels nice to say that) essentially forced me to come out. Karen is her name, and she made sure I came to the dinner by getting into my car and getting a ride with me. Hilarious! I am very glad I went and look forward to getting to know all of these people more. They have nothing but great things to say about Mike, and he has nothing but great things to say about them. There was a lot of love in the room. (=

Our season officially begins Monday November 1, 2010, and that is a day I have been looking forward to for a long time! It looks like we will have three evening swims every week (and Mike still wants me to do the Tuesday and Thursday morning swims with he and Clint), two bikes and two runs/hikes. Some core work thrown in there as well, which is good since I have been slacking on that lately.... Oh - and did I mention a beer mile!? Yep - November 5. I was pretty good at it when we did them as rowers but not sure how I will stack up against a bunch of runners.... I have talked a big game so here's hoping I clutch up!

Off to coaching now... Getting VERY excited about next week!

PS Applied for another position at the University today... Secretary this time. One of these applications is going to come through, I can FEEL it!

No comments:

Post a Comment